Faculty Mentoring Program
The VCU Service-Learning Faculty Mentoring Program provides guidance and support to faculty members who have completed the VCU Service-Learning Institute and are developing or teaching new Service-Learning courses.
All Service-Learning Institute graduates will be invited to participate in the mentoring program. The program pairs interested faculty mentees with mentors who are experienced Service-Learning instructors from either the Service-Learning Office or from academic departments around the campus.
Participation lasts for either one or two semesters following the institute, depending upon the participants' needs and preferences. The mentoring program is voluntary, and no stipend is paid to either the mentees or mentors of this program.
Faculty Service-Learning Mentee
- Complete two-day Service-Learning Institute.
- Work to develop a Service-Learning course (i.e., develop syllabus).
- Provide a brief end-of-semester update to Service-Learning Office on progress.
- Refer a colleague to the Service-Learning Institute.
Faculty Service-Learning Mentor
- Provide guidance and support to the mentee.
- Contact mentee at least twice during the semester.
- Update the Service-Learning Office on mentee progress.
Service-Learning Program Staff
- Provide additional programmatic support to mentors and mentees.
- Track progress of all mentees.
- Assist with course development or course improvement.
- Provide opportunities for funding and professional development.